Colorado Radio and TV Station Photos from the John in Montana Collection
Stations on the Colorado radio and TV station photos page are listed in alphabetical order by call letters.
KADX FM 105.1 Denver was known as "The Jazz Station" during the 1970's era as seen in this photo of their studios
KATC FM 95.1 Colorado
Springs came on the air in 2006 with a country music format which continues to this date.
Known as "Cat Country," this Citadel Broadcasting station shares studios with KCSF, KKFM, KKMG, KKPK, and KVOR.
The studio photos are from 2011 and show the master control room along with a station banner and signed guitars on display.
97.3 Denver started out as KFEL-FM in the 1950s. Prior to becoming KBCO they were KRNW.
Known as "World Class Rock" the station is part of the Clear Channel group in Denver.
Two of their vehicles were
spotted in 2011 as seen in these photos.
1280 Denver has seen numerous call letters from KTLN to KTLK, then KXKL, KRRF, KEXX, KXXL, and even KVOD. As KBNO
they broadcast a regional Mexican format. Towers are located just east of South Broadway in the Miliken Park area as seen in
this photo from 2011.
KBPI Rocks The Rockies at 106.7. A KBPI van was spotted in 2011.
Channel 9 came on the air in 1952 as KBTV. The change to KUSA TV came in 1984. Their studios were located at
1089 Bannock Street when this photo was taken in 1971. They were owned by Mullins Broadcasting. KBTR Radio 710 was co-owned.
After moving to new studios, this location was sold to KRMA-TV Channel 6.
The on air ID for KBTV channel 9 Denver from 1971.
KCBR 1040 is licensed to Monument, but has their studios in Colorado Springs together with KCMN.
They broadcast a religious format and on weekends a Spanish format using the slogan "Vida 1040."
A station banner hangs near the control room. That and the control room photo are from 2011.
1510 Littleton (Denver market) came on the air in 1957 as KMOR. Call letters were changed to KDKO,
and then to KCKK (KiCKs K).
Their transmitter and towers are located east of Riverdale Road just south of the Thornton
Parkway as seen in this photo from 2011.
KCMN 1530 Colorado
Springs transmitter and tower are located east of South Circle Drive and north of Highway 24
as seen in this photo from 2011. A KCMN banner was noticed during a station tour in 2011.
Channel 4 Denver came on the air in 1953 as KOA TV. Call letters were changed to KCNC-TV in
1983. The calls stand for "Colorado's News Channel." They came on the air taking NBC affiliation from channel 9 because of KOA
Radio's affiliation with NBC. Later owned by GE, when sold to CBS TV in 1995 affiliation was changed to CBS.
The photos of the KCNC TV 1044 Lincoln Street location were taken in 2011.
1300 Colorado Springs came on the air in 1922. The station has seen numerous call letter changes.
They were KVOR, KSSS, KTWK, KUBL, KBZC, KKML, and now KCSF. The transmitter and tower are located just south of I-25 at the end of East
Brookside Street as seen in this photo from 2011. .
In 2004 as KKML the "Sports Animal" slogan was created. However in 2008 a change in formats to country lasted until 2009 when they
returned to a sports format.
Note the banner hanging in the control room.
The photo of John in the KCSF 1300 control room was taken in 2011
1340 Denver started out in 1940 as KMYR. As KDEN in the 1970's their studios were at 1601 West Jewell Avenue
as seen in this photo 1972. Now KCFR, they are located in this building.
107.9 Pueblo came on the air as KRYT in 1986. In 1993 the calls were changed to KDZA.
The station serves the Pueblo and Colorado Springs.
The two photos from 2011 show a KDZA FM van and a remote tent
setup in Colorado Springs in 2011.
1430 Denver came on the air in 1954 as KOSI and later changed to KEZW. Their transmitter and towers are located
just south of East County Line Road near South Holly Street as seen in this photo from 2011.
KHOW 630 Denver came on the air in 1925. The station changed to KHIH for a few years, but returned to the
KHOW call letters. Their transmitter and towers are located east of Holly Street south of East 120th Avenue as seen in this
photo from 2011.
950 Denver started out in 1922 as KFEL. In 1954 the call letters were changed to KIMN and they were the flagship
station for the "Inter-Mountain Network." In 1988 call letters were changed to KYGO ending an era of top 40 rock in Denver. The photo of their
Edgewater studios is from 1971.
92.9 Colorado Springs was KSPZ in the 1980's. Eventually the calls were changed to KKPK
with "The Peak" slogan ending up on 92.9.
Studio photos are from 2011. A KKPK "The Peak" banner hangs in the control room.
Music Director Coyote McCloud on the air in
KKTV Channel 11 Colorado Springs came on the air in 1952 as the third TV station in Colorado.
At that time the
station was affiliated with CBS, NBC, ABC, and DuMont
Studios are located at 3100 North Nevada in Colorado Springs.
These photos from 2011 show the entrance door in the north building, the north building, then the south building.
News vehicles were parked behing the south building.
KLIR FM 100.3 Denver came on the air in 1959. In 1972 studios were located at 6535 West Jewell Avenue.
This area is now housing and the Green Gables Country Club. KLIR changed to KMJI, then KXLT, and back to KMJI before changing to
KLZ 560 Denver came on the air in 1922 and is Denver's oldest station. Transmitter and
towers are located wast of Welby Road just north of East 78th Avenue as seen in this photo from 2011.
The station had a "Missing K" contest in 1972 as seen in this billboard photo.
Channel 7 in Denver was known as KLZ-TV. This on
air ID is from 1972.
KLZ TV came on the air in 1953. The photo of their studios at 123 Spear Boulevard was taken in 1972.
Not long after this photo
was taken, the station was sold to McGraw-Hill and the call letters were changed to KMGH TV. Studios for Channel 7 are still
located at 123 Spear
Boulevard as seen in these photos from 2011.
Channel 7 started out as a CBS affiliate. In 1996 McGraw-Hill switched
affiliation to ABC which had been on channel 9. CBS moved to Channel 4 and NBC moved from 4 to 9.
KNRC 1150 Denver went off the air in 2004. Their transmitter and towers are still located south of the
Cherry Creek State Park area east of South Peoria Street and north of East Arapahoe Road as seen in this photo from 2011.
KOA Radio Denver came on
the air in 1924 The station has a rich history in Denver.
Their transmitter and 660 foot tower are located south of Denver in Parker, Colorado as seen in these photos from 2011.
Studios are located along with the other Clear Channel stations at 4695 South Monaco Street.
KOA TV channel 4 Denver came on the air in 1953. One of the original stockholders was Bob Hope. The station
was the NBC affiliate for Denver for many years as seen in this on air ID from 1972. This photo of their 1044 Lincoln Street studios is
how it looked in 1971. Note the GE logo on the building. GE owned the station at that time. Now they are CBS and KCNC-TV. See above.
KPTT FM 95.7 Denver is known as "The Party." A KPTT vehicle was seein in 2011.
KRAI Radio 550 Craig is owned by Wild West Radio, Inc. In 1973 their studios were
located in the building pictured. The station moved to the Centennial Mall a decade later.
KRDO TV Channel 13 Colorado Springs came on the air in 1953. They started out as an NBC affiliate, but in 1960
they changed to ABC TV. Studios are located at 399 South 8th Street. This location is also home to KRDO Radio 1240.
KRDO Radio 1240 came on the air in 1947 and has retained those call letters which stand for Kolorado Radio Dynamic Outlet.
The KRDO Radio 1240 tower is located behind the station at 399 South 8th Street as seen in this photo from 2011.
Channel 5 Grand Junction came on the air in 1954 as KFXJ-TV. Call letters were changed to KREX-TV a year later.
Note the KREX call letters on their tower next to the station as seen in 1973.
The building at 345 Hillcrest Drive was damaged by a fire in the winter of 2007. This photo is from 1973.
FM 103.5 Denver came on the air in 1960 as KOA-FM. They were KOAQ from 1974 until 1989. Now KRFX. A
KRFX vehicle was spotted in 2011.
KRMA-TV Channel 6 Denver came on air in 1956 and is the oldest public TV station in the Rockies.
The studios started out in a converted car repair building at the Emily Griffith Opportunity School at the corner of Glenarm
Place and Thirteenth Street in downtown Denver.
When Channel 9 moved to new studios, their old building at 1089 Bannock Street was purchased by KRMA.
The on air ID is from 1971. The studio photos are from 2011.
950 Denver came on the air in 1954 as KIMN (see above). Call letters were changed to KYGO
in 1988 and then to KKFN in 1994. In 2008 a sports format was dumped in favor of rock oldies and new call letters KRWZ.
The transmitter and towers are located south of East 100th Avenue along Riverdale Road. Studios are located at 7800 East Orchard
Road along with stations KYGO, KQKS, KKFN, and KEPN as seen in these photos from 2011.
FM 93.3 Denver came on the air in 1965 as KFMF. Now as KTCL, the station licensed to Wheat Ridge serves
the Denver market. A KTCL vehicle was spotted in 2011.
Channel 9 came on the air in 1952 as Denver's 2nd TV station as KBTV (See above.) and changed to
KUSA TV in 1984. Studios are located at 500 East Speer Boulevard as seen in this photo from 2011.
The original KVOD FM Denver came on the air in 1969 on 99.5 The photo of the KVOD FM ("Voice Of Denver")
studios is from 1971. From 1969 until 1995 they were a commercial station with a classical music format.
Now KVOD is at 88.1 and a public broadcast facility. Still with classical music.
740 Colorado Springs came on the air in 1953 as KWBY. Call letters were changed to KSSS, then KTWK, and now
they are KVOR. The KVOR call letters had been on 1300 for a number of years.
The photos of the KVOR control room and vehicle are from 2011.
Channel 2 Denver was Colorado's first TV station. They started out in 1952 as KFEL. In 1955 call letters were
changed to KTVR, then in 1963 to KCTO "See-Two" which lasted until 1966 when new owner Tribune Broadcasting changed the call letters
to KWGN reflecting their WGN Chicago call letters.
The two on air IDs show the KWGN call letters. One from 1971 and the other from 1972 when they celebrated broadcasting
20 years with the slogan "20-20 Vision."
The studios at 550 Lincoln Street can be seen in the photo from 1971.
The station is now located at 100 East Speer Boulevard as seen in the photos from 2011.
This building is also the location for
KDVR Channel 31. KWGN is the CW affiliate for Denver and KDVR is Fox31. KDVR came on the air in 1983.
1490 Manitou Springs came on the air in 1956. The station has seen numerous call letter changes from KCMS
to KEDI then KIIQ followed by KIKX then KRYN and currently KXRE.
Their transmitter and tower are located on one of the steep hills
around Manitou Springs at the end of Mesa Avenue as seen in these photos from 2011.
KXRM TV Channel 21 Colorado Springs came on the air in 1985. First as an independant, then in 1986 they became
a charter Fox affiliate.
Studios are located at 560 Wooten Road along with KXTU a low power station known as CW57.
The photos of their
sign and building are from 2011.
John is pictured in the next two photos from 2011.
Along with KXRM reporter Kelly Werthmann, John is on the KXRM news set. Next we
see John in the KXRM / KXTU master control room.
One of the KXRM TV news vehicles in 2011.
1460 Colorado Springs started out in 1956 as KYSN "Kissin" and during the 1960s and 1970s dominated the market with
rock music. In 1983 calls were changed to KKHT and in 1985 to KKCS. In 2003 they became KZNT. The photo of their towers is from 2011.
Note Pike's Peak in the background.
All photos are the property of John In Montana and may not be used in any form elsewhere.